Tuesday, July 28, 2009

If I ever get back to Georgia...

No, I'm not from Georgia. I've been to Georgia, though. Mostly just through it on the way to Florida, which seems to take forever. And I'm not a big fan of Atlanta traffic, and I still begrudge Georgia Tech a certain basketball game nearly 20 years ago. But that's another story. Overall, though, I like Georgia all right.

So what has that got to do with this post? Well, I was a fan of newspaper columnizt Lewis Grizzard once upon a time. And one of this Atlanta writer's books about his wanderings was aptly titled "If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Going to Nail My Feet to the Ground." I've been thinking about a portion of that book the past few weeks. You see, at one point in his career, Lewis found himself out of work in the newspaper business. So, he set out to be a freelance writer. For some reason, I've always remembered what he said: "I had no idea how to become a freelance writer except to say, 'I'm a freelance writer.' So that's what I did." So, that's what I'm doing.

I have my first assignment, which I should be working on instead of blogging, but there you go. The move did not turn out to be a very lucrative one for Mr. Grizzard, and he ended up back as a newspaper columnist and eventually churned out a few books. Given the current situation at casa de macwriter, it's going to be a tough row to hoe here, too. But it's worth a shot, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment