Tuesday, July 14, 2009

At least I have paddles

Well, the economic downturn finally caught up with me yesterday. I got the dreaded tap on the shoulder. The conversation was brief. There's really not much to say at that point. There's no ill will. It's just the way it is, and honestly not unexpected.

So now after eight years I find myself back in a position I never thought I would be in again: jobless, with no immediate prospects. But the circumstances are much, much different. This time I have a wife and two amazingly cute new daughters. And last time I was renting a dump barely fit for college students. Now I have a real house.

While I find myself "up the creek" so to speak, I am not without a few paddles. I qualify for unemployment this time. I can go on my wife's insurance through her work. And I have more savings than I did last time. And more friends in the field keeping an eye out for me. Never discount that.

In the short term, I'll be a stay-at-home dad. I'll start the arduous process of sending out resumes. And a few other things I haven't had time to get to. Clean the house. Play around with my home brewing hobby - Up the Creek Brewing, the namesake of this blog. And perhaps best of all, I hope to write some things that I want to write.

Updates as events warrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment