Thursday, July 16, 2009

Rejection progress

Everything happens faster in the electronic age. When I got out of college, I remember typing (on a typewriter) letters and resume and dropping them in the mail. A few weeks would go by, and I would get a nice form letter saying something like: "Thank you for your interest in ACME. While we have no current positions available that meet your qualifications, we will keep your resume on file." Which I suppose literally meant a file somewhere. Some folder way in the back, but an actual drawer nonetheless.

Well, today I experienced a much swifter version of the process. I emailed a note with a resume attached as a pdf in response to an internet posting for a contract writing position. Based on the posting, I felt qualified. Within two hours I received a nice reply from a gentleman saying that while the position had been filled, he would keep my resume in case anymore become available.

At least with email, in this case it was an individual response from a real person with a real name, rather than some of those form letters I remember.

That's progress!

No comments:

Post a Comment